Saturday, December 5, 2009

25 EQUALS 25: Anita

Welcome to the DC blog, the number one Camer blog for all things entertainment!

Right now, we are challenging ourselves to bring to you our dear readers 25 of the hottest and newest arstists in the Camer music scene.

The objective is to:
  • Showcase these talents and their music styles
  • Show to you how the Camer music scene has evolved from the popular Makossa days to new genres such as Rap/Hip Hop, Jazz, Gospel, Afrobeat, RnB, Raggae etc

So far DC has brought to you talents such as Blassta a rap artist based in France, Naomi another Rap artist with Jazz influences based in Arlington, Virginia.

Well today....on the fifth day to Christmas, DC brings to you...

Name: Anita Balinga-Etta aka Anita

Age: Take a guess

Location: Los Angeles, CA (USA)

Label: Currently negotiating a contract with Tate Music Group

Contact: admin@atinamusic.com


DC: Hello Anita, thanks for talking to DC. Describe to us your sound.
Anita: I describe myself as a Christian Jazz artist. I plan to get even more adventurous with my sound; it will get more jazzy nevertheless my lyrics will mostly be Christian lyrics. My sound also consists of some love songs.

DC: How did growing up in a strong Christian home influence you?
Anita: Generally, it helped me to be grounded and realistic about life. I have a lot of faith in God and those who know me can testify to this. My Christian upbringing has given me a lot of confidence. With regards to the music side, I was exposed to Christian music from an early age and this comes through in my music.

DC: Are there any artists you would say influence your music?
Anita: I would say Cece Winans; she is mellow and soulful and I love that aspect of her style. I would also say India Arie because her lyrics are like poetry, filled with deep meaning and I can identify with that in my own lyrical style. Others would be Sade, Luther Vandross, Celine Dion, Fred Hammond and Nicole Mullen.

DC: You attended Saker Baptist College, what values did you learn there?
Anita: It taught me a love for music, for Christ, a love of discipline and value in myself.

DC: What is the name of your record label and why did you decide to start your own.
Anita: The name is Atina Music Entertainment and I started one because I have a business background, I have an MBA and I knew I was capable of running one. It allows me the flexibility to continue in my other professional pursuits, continue in the ministry and even help me develop new talents as well as give me the freedom to do my own thing.

DC: Will you be signing only Christian artists to your label?
Anita: No, it will not have to be Christian musicians only, as long as the music is clean I will be open to it. For me, any type of music that is positive and uplifting is inspirational music and fits within my definition of the Christian music genre. I will always be true to my Christian values and I want to encourage people to come to Christ the way they are.

DC: How important to you is it for musicians to write their own songs?
Anita: Erm, I would say as a musician it is important considering the way the music industry is structured as far as royalties go. Business wise it will benefit you but if you cannot write, then you can also partner with a great songwriter. If you are going to write your music, you also need to know about copyrighting and the musician’s rights associations to protect your material.

DC: Talk to us about your upcoming shows in Cameroon.
Anita: I am doing 2 concerts, one in Yaounde and the other in Limbe. It is being organised by Living Word Fellowship International in Yaounde and Christian Missionary Assembly in Limbe. The purpose of the concert is to launch myself as an artist at home. I have to have my base in Cameroon as a Cameroonian to introduce my album there. It is also a Christmas gift to the people of Limbe and Yaounde to come and have a great time.

DC: What do you hope for in 2010?
Anita: Musically in 2010, I would have successfully pulled through the concerts in Cameroon and people will recognise me out there as an artist. I hope to have my music played on radio and my videos shown on TV stations across the country. I want to do a collection of love songs in 2010 and finish my second album too. I will be looking to signing up with an agent so I can tour more in the US and I will also look to finalising my record deal.

DC: How do plan on spending Christmas?
Anita: Ohh, I am going to spend Chrismas in Limbe this year since I will be in concert. I will be spending Christmas with my daughter who is going to Cameroon with me as well as with my parents and siblings. It will be different because I have not been to Cameroon in a very long time so I am looking forward to enjoying the food, as well as singing in my brother’s church.

Check out her video below!




Well if you are in Pays in December you know where the place to be is and it is all FREE.
Did I say FREE, yesss I DID!
Go check the concert out.
Stay sweet
Dulce
xxx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love, love, love anita! she's a very kind and generous soul. i feel fortunate to know her. all the best to u sis!

ngum